Software Engineer III, Desktop Applications
By joining Box, you will have the unique opportunity to help capture a majority of this developing market and define what content management looks like for the digital enterprise. Today, Box powers 100,000+ businesses, including many top Fortune 500 companies who trust our secure collaboration platform to manage the entire content lifecycle.Our Warsaw office is an incredibly exciting addition to our EMEA expansion. We're already in UK, France, and Germany, and the new Poland location will act as a global engineering and product development hub alongside our headquarters in Redwood City, California.
Why Box needs you
We build applications that bring the power of Box's content platform to where users get their work done - on their Windows and MacOS devices. Our desktop applications allow users to seamlessly collaborate on their documents from cloud with the familiarity of their local computer and local applications.
As a member of our team, you will work on Box client applications such as Box Drive, Box Tools and Box for Office. Your work will have a direct impact on millions of users who rely on Box’s desktop applications to get their work done on a daily basis. You’ll have the opportunity to help us build delightful experiences for our users and continuously improve our technical foundation.
What you will do:
- You’ll work alongside talented engineers in both our Warsaw office and Redwood City headquarters to design and develop new features that will enhance the user experience.
- You’ll collaborate with product managers, QA engineers, designers, cross functional teams, and customer-advocates to design, build, and ship end-to-end experiences for our users.
- You’ll have the opportunity to work across the stack of Box desktop applications, tackling a variety of challenges such as virtual file systems, data persistence, deep OS integrations, network communication, synchronization, and user interfaces.
- You’ll dive deep into the pain points that our users experience and help solve their problems, making real impact on the way they work.
- You’ll participate in various design and planning discussions, helping to shape the future of our applications.
- You’ll have the opportunity to solve complex problems related to performance, handling large file systems with millions of objects, interprocess communication, and more.
- You’ll research and propose various design approaches and present corresponding pros and cons to your fellow engineers and management.
Who you are:
- You are proficient in either C++, C# or Swift. Basic experience with Python or Objective-C is a plus.
- You have at least 3 years of experience developing Windows or Mac applications in desktop environment.
- You are well-versed in modern unit-testing and functional-testing methodologies.
- You have a track record of collaborating successfully in small, high-velocity agile teams.
- You have a passion for building user-friendly, performant, and secure software that meets the needs of our users.
- You have good problem solving and debugging skills.
- You can communicate your ideas clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing, in English.
- A degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience will be beneficial.
- You have experience in Windows systems-level programming (e.g. Win32 APIs, multi-threading, Interprocess Communication or COM)
- You have experience in Jenkins, Jira
Percentage of Time Spent:
- 10% design
- 60% coding, code reviews, writing unit and integration tests
- 5% documentation
- 15% bug fixes and investigating production issues
- 10% meetings
Methodology and Tools:
- Agile management - Scrum
- Issue tracking tool - Jira
- Knowledge repository - Confluence, Box, GitHub Enterprise
- Code reviews - GitHub Enterprise
- Version control system - GIT
- Build server - Jenkins
- Messaging/meetings - Slack/Zoom
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For details on how we protect your information when you apply, please see our Personnel Privacy Notice.
For more details on how Box Poland protects your information, please see our Supplemental Personnel and Candidate Privacy Notice.