Software Engineer, Large Language Model Prompting
Casetext, Part of Thomson Reuters, is a fast-growing legal technology company tackling the $6 billion U.S. legal research market and advancing the cause of justice by empowering all attorneys to provide high-quality, efficient, and affordable representation to their clients. Our award winning research platform helps millions of users access and understand the law every month, and our AI-powered search tools are at the cutting edge of search technology.
About the Role
Casetext is seeking a creative backend engineer to join the team behind CoCounsel. You will help build applications that interact with state-of-the-art Large Language Models (LLMs) that deliver cutting-edge and time-saving solutions to attorneys all around the country. CoCounsel is already capable of writing legal research memos, summarizing and reviewing documents, and red-lining contracts, just to name a few capabilities--all in minutes, not days or weeks. And we're just getting started.
As a Software Engineer, LLM Prompting, you will develop Python code as well as English prose prompts to LLMs to help expand CoCounsel's early success. This mix of writing instructions for an interpreter and an LLM is well-suited for someone who can produce reliable backend code, and can also write creative, lucid, and effective prose instructions.
Our ideal candidate is an excellent software engineer who can write high-quality Python, work with APIs (consuming and serving), and also has some domain knowledge of the law (JD, legal industry experience, etc.). If you have more legal domain expertise than engineering experience (or vice-versa), but have a proven knack for mastering new skills, we encourage you to apply. A candidate with experience in prompting LLMs will be especially well-suited for this role.
This role is entirely remote, but you must be based in the U.S. or Canada and authorized to work in the U.S. and/or Canada.
As the Software Engineer, LLM Prompting You Will...
- Orchestrate LLM-driven experiences that delight our customers
- Develop Python code that interacts with state-of-the-art LLMs
- Write, test, and iterate prose prompts for the LLM that leverage your legal domain knowledge, ensuring delivery of accurate, legally sound, and contextually appropriate responses
- Develop Python code that interacts with data sources & services (APIs, SQL databases, etc.)
- Liaise with legal professionals and other teams at Casetext to gather and understand requirements
- Integrate the language models into multi-step systems, assessing their performance and making necessary modifications
- At least some legal domain expertise. This can mean experience in legal practice, a JD-holder in a “non-traditional” legal career path, a paralegal, or something else entirely
- At least two years of production level experience in software engineering on an engineering/product team, preferably at a startup
- Strong proficiency in Python.
- Proficiency with APIs and SQL is a major plus
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative environment
- Creative and clear writing skills
- Experience using large language models through code (such as model services from OpenAI, Anthropic, or Cohere; and/or open source models such as Llama and Mistral)
We know that many good candidates may not fit perfectly into this description. If you meet many of these criteria and are excited about this role, we encourage you to apply.
Salary Range: $110,000-$140,000, total compensation
As listed above, the salary range for this role's listed level is currently $X-Y. Compensation is determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data and geographic location. This role is also eligible for Thomson Reuter's Annual Incentive Plan as a part of our total compensation strategy. This role is 100% remote, but you must be a resident of either the U.S. or Canada. The salary range listed is for U.S. residents only. For residents in Canada, we will convert the salaries in accordance with the current currency exchange rate, market data, and geographic location.
- Competitive Salary
- 100% Remote-work
- Medical, Dental & Vision
- 401k plus match
- ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan)
- Generous Parental Leave
- Unlimited PTO
- Wellness Benefits
- 529 College Savings Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Annual Incentive Bonus Plan (eligible for roles without commission structure)
- ...And more!
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.