Machine Shop Production Manager
torrance, ca, usa
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2023
Divergent is on a mission to democratize the design and manufacture of vehicles. We want to enable a future where small entrepreneurial teams across the globe will bring increasingly material and energy efficient transportation solutions to market with a fraction of the capital and time.
Divergent has invented a complete manufacturing solution to address system level challenges. The Divergent Adaptive Production System (DAPS) is a complete software hardware solution designed to replace traditional vehicle manufacturing. To make the complex simple, it is a complete modular digital factory for complex structures. Given a set of digital requirements as input, the machine automatically computationally engineers, additively manufactures, and assembles any complex structure. The system is able to move seamlessly between manufacturing different vehicle models.
Purpose of Job:
This role oversees the CNC machine shop and is responsible for the management of all aspects of the machining resource including scheduling, setup, machining, inspection, maintenance, and general shop activities. This position will support the fabrication of prototype suspension, powertrain, and chassis components for high performance vehicle applications. As a Production Manager you will ensure the machine shop runs safely and smoothly by providing both technical and managerial guidance to your team. This role will function as the local project manager and act as a bridge between operators, programmers, engineers, quality, supply chain, and the production team.
Essential Job Functions and Performance Standards:
· Manage the overall direction, coordination, and execution of the CNC Machining department.
· Supervise and mentor the operators, programmers, and other members of your team.
· Ensure the quality, safety and efficiency of the resource through the development of robust processes and procedures.
· Oversee the machining of parts including prototype suspension, powertrain, and chassis components for high-performance vehicle platforms. Familiarity with Haas, Heidenhain, and Siemens controllers preferred.
· Provide technical guidance on machining strategy, fixturing, and setup for advanced machining applications in the automotive and 3d printing industries.
· Use CAD/CAM to assist with fixture design and CNC programming.
· Assist with setup, verification, and run of parts to be machined. Candidate should have prior experience with common workholding tools and a good understanding of setup best practices.
· Review prototype part CAD models and provide manufacturing feedback.
· Purchase tooling, consumables, and other supplies.
· Perform planning activities to schedule work, evaluate workload/headcount, monitor machine capacity, add machines/equipment, and review performance.
· 7+ years experience in CNC machining or fabrication environment in the automotive, aerospace, medical, or other manufacturing sector.
· 2+ years management experience leading a team, running a small business, or similar.
· Strong leadership and project management skills
· Experience leading the troubleshooting, diagnosis, and resolution of manufacturing issues
· Persistent drive for continuous improvement and standardization
· Good understanding of CNC setup and operation in both prototype and production settings
· Fluent in G-code (Haas/Fanuc), Heidenhain, and/or Siemens programming languages
· Total familiarity with CNC machine operation, processes, best practices, maintenance, etc.
· Capable of creating new machine setups for location and workholding using industry best-practices.
· General understanding of automotive systems preferred
Divergent is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Our positions adhere to all statutory and regulatory requirements. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
No agencies, no solicitations, and no calls please. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.