Principal Software Engineer (Product Engineering, Hybrid)
Hi, Future Homie!
As a Homie, you'll be part of an unstoppable team that puts customers first, embraces each day with excitement, and strives for excellence in everything you do. We’re revolutionizing the way small businesses manage their teams and grow their business. What this means for you is a shared passion for innovation and making a difference for the people we serve. So what do you say, will you join us on our mission to empower small businesses?
As a Homie, you will make an impact by
Homebase Engineering values technical leaders who are passionate about building great products and platforms, delivering customer impact, and empowering engineering teams to be successful.
Partnering with Engineering Leadership, you will play a key role in defining how our engineering practice operates and how our engineers grow their skill sets. You will use your technical experience and your influence to develop technical approaches that will improve Hombase’s ability to deliver a resilient platform and world-class product for our Homebase customers.
The successful candidate is a Principal Engineer who has excellent judgment and helps balance short-term needs with long-term organizational impact.
- Define and execute a long-term strategic technical direction for product engineering at Homebase, balancing development velocity, quality, and maintenance while ensuring excellence in user experience and meeting business objectives
- Work cross-organizationally to coach and mentor teams in the adoption of emerging engineering practices
- Guide Homebase technology choices and thinking, influencing the direction of our technology ecosystem, including evaluation of new tools, frameworks, languages, etc.
- Partner with product engineering teams to help ensure they are delivering customer value, meeting business objectives, and doing so following our technology direction.
As a Homie, you are a bar raiser, which means you come with
- 10+ years of software development experience
- Deep expertise in delivering scalable software solutions using Ruby on Rails;
- Experience with React or similar framework
- Experience with CI/CD
- In-depth understanding of Domain Driven Design
- Expert understanding of object-oriented software design and system architecture patterns, and how to apply them to solve tough engineering problems
- Able to compare various languages and frameworks objectively within the context of an organization and its business goals
- Exceptional analytical and communication skills
- Proven ability to diagnose, understand, and resolve technical problems that span teams and technologies
- Ability to use influence to develop and promote effective engineering practices
What We Offer:
- Stock Options - Everyone is an Owner!
- Competitive group health benefits coverage for you and your eligible dependents
- Group Investments, TFSA as well as an RRSP plan which offers a 4% company match
- Employer supplemented Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance Plans
- Company-paid holidays and 20 days accrued PTO per year
- Continued learning and development stipend
- Paid parental leave after 1-year of service
- Top-of-the-line equipment and stipend for workspace setup
- Work from home days, Monday, Thursday, & Friday
- Meals provided at our vibrant workspaces
- Team offsites and monthly opportunities to engage with fellow Homies
What to Expect During the Interview Process:
- Meet the Talent Acquisition team
- Meet the Hiring Manager
- Participate in a Technical Interview
- Meet the Leadership team
- Professional Reference Checks
- Background Check + Offer Stage
- Welcome to the team, Homie💜🎉
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Homebase
At Homebase, we take pride in fostering a welcoming space where every Homie of every gender, age, orientation, culture and walk of life can be their full selves. Diverse perspectives empower us to build the best-in-class platform for small businesses and hourly shift workers. We recognize that experience comes in many forms, so if you think you’re close to what we’re looking for (even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications), we encourage you to apply!
Our mission is to make hourly work easier for local businesses and hourly workers. Homebase currently serves more than 100,000 small (but mighty) businesses with everything they need to manage their hourly teams: employee scheduling, time clocks, payroll, team communication, hiring, onboarding, and compliance. Just don’t call us “Human Capital Management.” We have built tools for the busiest businesses, so owners and employees can spend less time on bullsh*t and more time on what matters. The Homebase team brings small business expertise from Intuit, Square, OpenTable, Yelp, Gusto, and First Data. Homebase is backed by leading venture investors Bain Capital Ventures, Baseline Ventures, Cowboy Ventures, Khosla Ventures, Plus Capital, and GGV Capital.
At Homebase, we value our differences, and we encourage all to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Homebase is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Accommodations will be provided during the hiring process if needed. Please advise us of any accommodations needed within your application to ensure fair and equitable access throughout the recruitment and selection process.
**Interview Recording Notice
By participating in interviews with Homebase, you consent to the use of Metaview, a recording and transcription tool, during the interview process. Please be aware that all interviews may be recorded and transcribed for the purpose of evaluating candidates and ensuring the quality of our recruitment process. If you do not consent to being recorded, please inform the Talent Team at the beginning of the call, and appropriate arrangements will be made to accommodate your preference. Your privacy is important to us, and the recorded interviews will only be used for internal evaluation and assessment of candidates.