Staff Data Scientist - Tech Lead Manager
Moloco is a machine learning company empowering organizations of all sizes to grow and unlock the full value of their unique first-party data, elevating the traditional path to performance advertising. While the largest technology companies have proven the speed and scale of ad-targeting utilizing data— the same robust performance powered by machine learning has previously been unavailable beyond their platforms.
That's where Moloco steps in. With Moloco's powerful combination of cutting-edge machine learning technologies, we play a unique and visible role in shaping the digital economy, all while allowing companies to stay independent and scale.
An industry leader at the nexus of machine learning, performance marketing, and visionary product infrastructure, Moloco is advancing the advertising technology industry. We ranked #95 in the Inc. 5000 fastest-growing private companies for 2022. We ranked #91 among Deloitte’s 2021 Fast 500 and have been certified by 91% of the company via Great Places to Work. Check us out on Glassdoor and be sure to get an inside look at working at Moloco on Instagram, Twitter, and Youtube.
Moloco is headquartered in Silicon Valley, with offices in San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, Seattle, London, Berlin, Seoul, Singapore, Beijing, Gurgaon, and Tokyo.
Creating a diverse workforce and a culture of inclusion and belonging is core to our existence. To reach our goals, diversity of talent and thought is a critical component to how we operate as an organization. Our workforce is our superpower, and we know that fostering a culture of inclusion, authenticity, and belonging will allow us the greatest opportunity to carry out our mission -- to empower businesses of all sizes to grow through operational machine learning.
Moloco is a truly rewarding place to work and in an exciting period of growth, which you could be a part of. Join us today and apply now!
About the Role
The impact you'll be contributing to Moloco:
Product Data Science (PDS) is the data science team working with the R&D on our core Demand Side Platform (DSP) product, and this role will be within the Infra & Machine Learning (ML) Data Science (DS) team. As a Staff Data Scientist in Infra & ML DS, you will derive performance improvement and cost efficiency in our product through a deep understanding of the ML and infra system, and provide a data driven insight and scientific solution.
Here’s what you’ll be working on:
Our Infra & ML DS team is responsible for:
- Conducting deep-dive analysis to influence R&D decisions and strategies: analyzing a large dataset with queries and scripts, extracting valuable signals out of noise, and producing actionable insights into how we could complete and improve Moloco’s complex ML and bidding system.
- Improving ML models through better data quality and insights: validating and quantifying the efficiency and performance gain from hypotheses through advanced statistical methods (simulation, causal inference, modeling).
- Building the right metrics for product areas and guide ramps with domain data expertise: improving performance monitoring of a large and complex ads ecosystem through establishing the right metric framework, and understanding cause-and-effect relationships across drivers; guiding ramp decisions through rigorous A/B testing.
- Innovating on new solutions to embrace privacy changes: contributing or directly leading new innovative solutions for identity & attribution, in anticipation of industry changes in privacy.
As a Tech Lead Manager (TLM), you will also:
- Lead and manage a sub-area within the Infra & ML DS team of talented data scientists with the ability to not only keep up with, but also pioneer, in this space. Sub-areas include 1) ML system DS, 2) Privacy DS, 3) Bidding Supply (ad exchange ecosystem) DS, 4) Conversion Signal DS, 5) Creatives DS.
- Collaborate with leadership so that your team's work directly impacts company strategy and direction.
- Communicate with other engineering teams to build the best mobile advertising platform in the world.
- Work cross-functionally with business and technical teams to support campaign management and team communication.
- Distinctive problem-solving skills, ability to articulate product questions, pulling data from large datasets and using statistics to arrive at a recommendation; ability to manage multiple projects at the same time.
- Proven ability to own projects end-to-end, even when you have to get creative: you do more than completing delegated tasks and always pay attention to detail to translate analysis results into business recommendations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with ability to present information and analysis results effectively.
- Statistics: strong knowledge and experience in experimental design, hypothesis testing, and various statistical analysis techniques such as regression or linear models.
- Machine Learning: deep understanding of ML algorithms (i.e. deep learning, random forest, gradient boosted trees, k-means clustering, etc.) and its development, validation, and evaluation.
- Programming: experience with Python, R or other scripting language, and database language (e.g. SQL) or data manipulation (e.g. Pandas, Dplyr).
- 2+ years of tech lead (TL) or tech lead manager (TLM) experience leading multiple multi-quarter data science projects, supervising data scientists while interacting with partner Eng, Biz, and Product stakeholders.
- Demonstrated leadership and self-direction. Willingness to both teach others and learn new techniques.
- Ability to build positive relationships within the Infra & ML DS team and with our stakeholders, and work effectively with cross-functional partners in a global company.
- 6+ years of work experience (industry or postgraduate) in data science related fields or an advanced degree such as Master’s or PhD in a quantitative discipline with 4+ years of experience.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s and/or PhD in a quantitative discipline (e.g. Statistics, Operations Research, Bioinformatics, Economics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering).
Our Compensation And Benefits (for United States Residents Only)
In accordance with various state laws, the range provided is a reasonable estimate of the base compensation for this role. The actual amount may be higher or lower, based on non-discriminatory factors such as experience, knowledge, skills and abilities. We also offer a competitive benefits package.
Moloco Thrive: Benefits and Well-Being:
We take care of you and create the conditions for you to do the best work of your career. Through a lens of Inclusion, we offer innovative benefits which empower our employees to take care of themselves and their families so they can do the best work of their lives. For an overview of our global benefits, click here.
Lead with Humility: Everyone’s voice is respected, valued, and heard. With humility, we become more open and accessible to each other. We win, lose, and learn together. Accountability and feedback are essential to our success.
Uncapped Growth Mindset: We see all situations as opportunities to learn, grow, and improve as individuals and as an organization. We seek diverse perspectives, encourage curiosity, and promote experimentation to push the boundaries of what’s possible.
Create Real Value: We pursue the most impactful opportunities with rigor and integrity. We take intelligent risks and make disciplined trade-offs to maintain deep focus. We help our customers win by delivering durable value.
Go Further Together: We’re one team working towards one mission and vision. We collaborate proactively and inclusively, involving the right people at the right time and in the right way. We strive to create a more equitable workplace. We won’t let each other fail.
Moloco is an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, sex and gender, gender expression and gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.