Senior Software Engineer - iOS (f/m/d)
NewStore provides Omnichannel-as-a-Service for retail brands worldwide that want to accelerate their digital transformation. Built for speed and flexibility, NewStore allows brands to easily deliver amazing shopping experiences that store associates and consumers love.
Its mobile-first, modular cloud platform includes POS, order management, clienteling, inventory, and native consumer apps.
NewStore customers such as Burton, Faherty Brand, G-Star RAW, Marine Layer, Scotch & Soda, UNTUCKit, and Vince benefit from the most complete, global omnichannel retail solution available.
The company is backed by General Catalyst, Activant Capital, and Salesforce Ventures. Learn more at www.newstore.com.
How do we work together?
- Strong empowered & autonomous teams able to make decisions needed to work effectively and self-determine technical & product direction based on facts
- Taking massive pride, ownership and accountability for all work without being a perfectionist; done is better than perfect
- People who are multipliers of others; being a team player and great collaborator is better than raw talent.
- Shared success; we succeed together when our customers are successful, when the team is successful and when the company is successful.
- Strongly debating your case with facts & data and having the integrity to make a commitment to decisions and move forward owning them as if they were your own
- Having the humility to make new decisions when we learn more; no decision should be forever, though we should be mindful of the decisions which are easy to change and the ones which are harder to change
- We optimize for developer experience; machines are less important than people. Our systems & code should reflect that and show empathy to other engineers and ourselves. Simple is better than smart.
- Frequent and small changes, shipping multiple times per day and developing in the open.
- Our engineers collaborate very closely, using pair programming, even though we don’t follow it religiously, it is a tool that allows us to streamline feedback loops for code review and make us more effective
- We have vertical ownership and own our domain segment end-to-end, the APIs, the UI & UX, analytics, deployment, monitoring, and observability. We build it, we run it, we own it.
- We support our software by employing a healthy on-call policy
- Team metrics are important to us though they are not the goal – we’re keeping track of cycle time, lead time, deployment frequency, mean time to restore, planned vs unplanned work to name a few – understanding this helps to keep us focused on valuable customer outcomes
- In all work we apply a DevOps mindset and take ownership of testing & QA within the team; we take care in how we write quality software, how we deploy reliable software, and how it’s compliant & secure
Technology we’re using
- Deep understanding of iOS development & best practices
- Experience working with patterns such as MVVM
- Understanding of reactive programming with RxSwift or Combine
- Familiarity with other languages such as Ruby, Python, Bash
- We follow a micro-service architecture deployed into Kubernetes - services are authored in Go, Python, and most recently with Elixir which we’re interested in investing further
- We’re an AWS company, and make use of many the services it has to offer
- For storage we make use of Postgres, DynamoDB, SecretsManager, Timestream - we match storage to use cases and pick what’s most suitable for our customer needs
- For web-frontend we’re using Webpack Module Federation to allow teams to contribute micro-frontends independently to a larger React application - in payments we own a number of components to give visibility into the payment events, reporting and tools to help our customers understand and reconcile their business
- On mobile, we’re leveraging mostly React Native mixed with some custom Swift & Objective-C native frameworks - in payments we own components which integrate with payment terminals, cash drawers, and custom payment options
- We manage our work using Jira, put our code on Gitlab, logs are going into an ELK (Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana) stack, metrics via Prometheus & Grafana, and for mobile analytics we use Amplitude
Expectations from you
- Our ways of working should resonate with you very strongly and you should feel that you can thrive within that environment and bring value through your work
- Being open to learning new tools and using the right tool for the job
- Be familiar with some of the technologies we use already or have comparable experience with alternatives - we don’t expect anyone to know every tool and instead expect adaptability
- Some experience in professional environments
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English
- Eager to share ideas and learn from others
Perks and Benefits
- Time off is a priority - with a generous PTO policy and a culture that encourages you to take it, you can enjoy some much-needed R&R
- If you're looking to grow your skills and knowledge, we've got you covered. With a personal development budget and a supportive environment that values learning, you can take your career to new heights.
- Plus, with the option to work fully remote, you have the autonomy to create the work environment that works best for you
- The best part? Our "life-friendly" working hours mean you can have it all - a fulfilling career and a happy life
- And that's not all - as a valued team member, you'll have the opportunity to share in our success with employee stock options and a quarterly bonus based on company goals
At NewStore, our diversity is our greatest strength. Our team comprises over 40 nationalities, fostering a melting pot of unique perspectives, cultural experiences, and innovative ideas.
Join us in our mission to bring the joy back to retail and be part of a team that is breaking down barriers and creating a brighter future.
If you're ready to join a team where you can bring your A-game, let's talk!