Senior iOS Engineer - Offroad (Remote Considered)
As a pioneer in digital outdoor navigation with a suite of apps, onX was founded in Montana, which in turn has inspired our mission to awaken the adventurer inside everyone. With more than 300 employees located around the country working in largely remote / hybrid roles, we have created regional “Basecamps” to help remote employees find connection and inspiration with other onXers. We bring our outdoor passion to work every day, coupling it with industry-leading technology to craft dynamic outdoor experiences.
Through multiple years of growth, we haven’t lost our entrepreneurial ethos at onX. We offer a fast-paced, growing, tech-forward environment where ownership, accountability, and passion for winning as a team are essential. We value diversity and believe it leads to different perspectives and inspires both new adventures and new growth. As a team, we’re hungry to improve, value innovation, and believe great ideas come from any direction.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
onX is seeking a Senior iOS Engineer with a passion for maps & offroading. As an onX Offroad Sr iOS Engineer, you’ll be joining a fast paced, cross-platform team and responsible for building out new UI, testing the outcome of our guesses and iterating quickly based results. You will be a part of our Offroad team, developing specifically for the Offroad customer. You will have support from a large group of cross-team Web Engineers. This role will serve as the Offroad Sr iOS Engineer at onX and will report to the Offroad Engineering Manager.
As an onX Senior iOS Engineer, your day to day responsibilities would look like:
(Essential Job Duties)
- Building and supporting features on our IOS applications.
- Write reusable code and libraries for future use
- Write unit, integration, and acceptance tests
- Maintain an “offline first” application that must work with or without service
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Optimize application for maximum speed, scalability, and battery life
- Participate in iOS platform leadership and craft best practices that help the team succeed
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders
- Mentor junior software engineers to help them learn and grow
- Participate in on call schedule as needed.
onX has created a thriving distributed workforce community across several US locations. This position can only be performed from an onX corporate office, “Basecamp,” or “Talent Cluster.”
- Corporate Offices: onX’s was founded in Montana with offices in Missoula and Bozeman. If you prefer to work in an office at least part of the time this is a great option.
- Basecamps: onX’s Basecamps are established virtual workforce communities where a sizable number of distributed team members group for work, volunteering, socializing, and adventure.
- Our current Basecamps are located within a 90-mile radius of the following: Austin, TX; Charlotte, NC; Denver, CO; Minneapolis, MN; Portland, OR; Salt Lake City, UT; and Seattle, WA.
- Talent Clusters: onX’s Talent Cluster locations are smaller, emerging communities of distributed team members.
- Our current Talent Clusters are located within a 60-mile radius of the following: Boise, ID; Charleston, SC; Dallas/Fort Worth, TX; Phoenix, AZ; Richmond, VA; Spokane, WA; and Vermont.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
- 8+ years working on mobile (IOS) based products is required.
- Experience working with APIs, Web Services, and other data integration methods.
- Experience with SwiftUI and common IOS tools.
- A shared passion for and ability to demonstrate onX’s Company Values.
- Permanent US work authorization is a condition of employment with onX.
- You believe that your profession is a craft and you’re driven to improve every day
- You know data structures and you know how to apply them
- You write quality and maintainable code
- You want to work with other happy, talented engineers
- You’re fun to work with
- You get stuff done
Though not required, we would be thrilled to consider candidates with any of the following:
- A love of the outdoors, specifically Offroading, snow mobiling, dirt biking.
- Experience with CI/CD
- Experience using A/B testing to drive feature development
- Experience working with Maps, GIS Or Cartography.
- GraphQL integration experience.
- Experience working with a distributed/remote team.
- Experience with search algorithms and/or content management.
- Experience with Mapbox.
onX is committed to compensating all employees fairly and equitably for their contributions. For this position, applicants can expect to make between $145,000 to $165,000 upon hire. The pay range will vary based on experience, skills, certifications, and education among other factors as required in the job description. In addition, full-time onX employees are eligible for a grant of common share options with a vesting schedule and a potential annual bonus of 10% based on company performance.
WHAT WE ARE OFFERING YOU
- Competitive salaries, annual bonuses, equity, and opportunities for growth
- Comprehensive health benefits including a no-monthly-cost medical plan
- Parental leave plan of 5 or 13 weeks fully paid
- 401k matching at 100% for the first 3% you save and 50% from 3-5%
- Company-wide outdoor adventures and amazing outdoor industry perks
- Annual “Get Out, Get Active” funds to fuel your active lifestyle in and outside of the gym
- Flexible time away package that includes PTO, STO, VTO, quiet weeks, and floating holidays
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
The following physical requirements represent those that are required to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sitting - [90%]
- Standing - [0%]
- Walking - [10%]
- Bending - [Occasionally]
- Kneeling - [Some]
- Lifting - [Up to 25 pounds]
- Reaching - [Regularly]
- Telephone Use - [Yes]
- Computer Use/Manual Dexterity - Yes
- Travel - Depends on location; remote employees typically travel to Montana twice per year.
onX COMPANY VALUES
Our principles guide the decisions making of our company. They define the culture at onX, what we have learned through experience and are the code by which we operate. They are fundamental, enduring and actionable–a benchmark by which we measure the team behavior and performance.
We put the customer first.
We are passionate.
We win as a team.
We take ownership.
We work with urgency.
We are curious and seek the truth.
We innovate & take risks.
Position open until filled.
At onX, we believe that diversity makes us better. Bringing together a diverse set of backgrounds, ideas, and opinions helps us to achieve our mission to awaken the adventurer in everyone. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. onX is committed to equal opportunity not only in our hiring practices but also in our employment practices, including but not limited to development, compensation, and promotion. We strive to build an inclusive work community where everyone can be their authentic self, and together, we win as a team. Come join us!