Director, Medicinal Chemistry
San Diego, CA, USA
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2023
Plexium is a pharmaceutical company focused on developing first-in-class protein degrader therapeutics that go beyond the limitations of bivalent degraders and cereblon molecular glues. Our novel integrated drug discovery platform consists of state-of-the-art medicinal chemistry and DNA-encoded library technologies, ultra-high throughput cell-based screening, deep biological understanding of protein degradation, and extensive proteomics and informatics capabilities. Our integrated platform allows us to discover and develop novel degraders of therapeutically validated proteins for cancer and other important disease areas.
Plexium has a positive, friendly, and collaborative work environment with a culture that values teamwork, initiative, ownership and thoughtful risk-taking in developing innovative solutions to challenging scientific problems. We are committed to fostering innovation at all levels, cross-functional team collaboration, and supporting the growth and development of our team members.
The successful candidate will provide medicinal chemistry and drug discovery expertise to Plexium’s TPD projects from Hit ID and validation through to development candidate nomination. They will lead multidisciplinary drug discovery projects and directly manage a team of internal chemists and CRO chemists. The candidate will be an expert medicinal chemistry leader and mentor.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Formulate medicinal chemistry strategies and lead the design and synthesis activities of medicinal chemistry team(s) on Plexium TPD drug discovery projects from Hit ID and validation through to development candidate nomination
- Interpret in vitro and in vivo biological data and ADME/PK/safety data
- Optimize the physicochemical properties of chemical matter through expert SAR analysis and use of data visualization tools
- Expertly use available 3D structural information, computational modeling, and SBDD techniques
- Flexibly design singleton compounds & solution phase parallel array and be a thought partner in the design of solid-phase libraries, as appropriate for projects
- Work with other (biology, platform technology, ADME/PK) drug discovery scientists to contribute to the scientific excellence of the discovery group through guidance and informal mentorship
- Directly supervise a team of 1-3 Plexium lab-based chemists and a team of 10-20 synthetic chemistry CRO chemists to high levels of productivity
- Contribute well researched ideas for new projects
Education and Experience Requirements
- Ph.D. degree in synthetic organic, medicinal chemistry or chemical biology
- 8 years of industrial drug discovery work experience in the biotech or pharmaceutical industry
- Five years leading a team of highly skilled scientists
Skills and Knowledge
- Ability to apply effective and innovative solutions to advance drug discovery projects from inception to IND-drug candidate stage
- Expert knowledge of structure-based drug design and physical property-based optimization of drug-like properties and ADME/PK profiles
- Expert synthetic chemistry knowledge and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to apply singleton synthesis and parallel/solution-phase library design as appropriate to project needs
- Experience of E3 ligase drug discovery (e.g. PROTACs and/or ’molecular glues’) or DNA-encoded library technologies is a plus
- Ability to manage external CRO chemistry resources to high levels of productivity
- Track record of drug discovery project leadership is preferred
- Effective and motivated team player with a high degree of independence, innovative and critical thinking skills, with the ability to adapt to changing projects and work assignments
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $180,000-$215,000 + target annual bonus + equity + health and well-being benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by a number of factors, including but not limited to the role, location, job-related skills, and relevant education, experience and training. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire base salaries for the position across all US locations and vary by the location of the position. Our Talent Acquisition Team can share more about our salary ranges and other benefits of working at Plexium, which are not included in the posted base salary range.
Notice to third party recruitment agencies: Plexium does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of an executed recruitment services agreement, there will be no obligation to any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without an agreement Plexium shall explicitly reserve the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, shall be deemed the property of Plexium.