Sr. Counsel, Employment Litigation
Tesla is looking for a litigation attorney to join our Employment Law Team. The Counsel, Employment Litigation will represent and defend Tesla in all aspects of employment-related litigation matters.
As a member of Tesla’s fun and fast-paced Legal Department, this attorney will be responsible for handling primarily single plaintiff employment disputes and related litigation matters, including day-to-day aspects of employment litigation matters with the assistance of a paralegal. Key to this role will be substantial experience with all aspects of employment litigation and arbitrations in California.
- Represent and defend Tesla in all aspects of employment-related litigation matters, including: Title VII, FEHA, and similar laws; affirmative action; disability access and accommodation; employee benefits; harassment and discrimination; unfair labor practice charges; wage and hour claims; wrongful terminations; and reductions in force
- Engage in factual investigation, analyze complex legal and factual issues, conduct extensive, legal research, independently develop, recommend and present defense strategies on a wide range of lawsuits and disputes
- Respond to complaints and other pleadings, draft and file motions to compel arbitration in California state and federal courts, propound and respond to discovery requests, prepare and file motions, appear in court, and represent Tesla at hearings, mediations, trials and arbitrations
- Prepare witnesses for deposition and trial
- Negotiate for the dismissal or resolution of cases at all stages in the litigation process
- Report out to colleagues on proactive approaches to mitigating legal risk gleaned from litigation matters
- Licensed attorney with 10-plus years experience in California litigation (state and federal court)
- Employment law and litigation experience at a law firm or government agency.
- Experience in employment defense litigation, including initial case assessment, strategy development, propounding and responding to discovery, drafting motions, mediation, arbitration, and court trials
- Possess an entrepreneurial mindset and take active ownership of your areas of responsibility. Capable of working both autonomously and collaboratively, effective at juggling and prioritizing multiple competing tasks in a fast-paced, challenging environment
- A quick and flexible learner: intellectually curious, open-minded, adaptable, comfortable with ambiguity and risk, and excited by dynamic change
- Inspire trust, forge relationships quickly, and earn the confidence and cooperation of your business partners. High standards, impeccable integrity and ethics, unquestionable good judgment, well-honed analytical skills
- Strong oral and written communications skills