Electrical Test Engineer, Tesla Bot
Tesla is at the forefront of creating large-scale humanoid robots for revolutionizing automation in manufacturing and material handling. As a valued member of our dedicated Optimus Test team, we're seeking an exceptional Electrical Test Engineer to play a crucial role in testing and validating the Tesla Bot. Your contributions will be pivotal in shaping our products throughout their lifecycle and ensuring the success of the Tesla Bot. In this role, you'll design and set up tests to evaluate product performance and reliability. We're looking for someone with strong electrical skills, project management experience, and the ability to take ownership for successful outcomes.
The ideal candidate will have a solid background in electrical and/or electronic engineering, including low voltage and power distribution systems, and an understanding of electromechanical or robotic systems. You'll be exposed to various aspects of the Tesla Bot, such as controllers, sensors, actuators, battery and harnesses. Your ability to create effective test plans and scripts is crucial, along with understanding potential electrical failures and their root causes. Adaptability and quick learning are essential, given the evolving nature of the project. Collaboration with cross-functional teams will be a key part of your role, requiring strong technical and problem-solving skills to contribute to the cutting-edge technology of the Tesla Bot.
Joining Tesla as an Electrical Test Engineer presents an exciting opportunity to have a significant impact in the field of robotics. You'll be part of a groundbreaking project that's pushing the boundaries of innovation. If you're passionate about robotics and ready to take on technical challenges, we invite you to be part of our team and help shape the future of automation with the Tesla Bot.
- Identify risks and failure modes of novel products and product designs by applying first principles thinking and scientific methodologies. Based on this analysis, design and build electrical test setups and develop adequate test methodologies
- Own and drive hardware validation efforts of the electrical, LV, and motor control systems of the Bot. Your job is to become a product expert, figure out how it could fail and collaborate with design partners to drive changes
- Design and build custom test equipment such as test PCBAs, harnesses and fixtures to make validation efficient, modular and repeatable
- Drive reliable collection of high-quality test data, analyze, and interpret test results, present findings, and guide failure analysis
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in the areas of Electrical Engineering or equivalent field
- 2+ years of experience in electrical test, low voltage system design, or development in robotic, automotive, aerospace, or related industries
- Proven technical experience through industry, passion projects, academic / extracurricular activities
- In-depth understanding of LV electronic components and motor controllers and expertise in developing associated characterization/validation testing methods
- Knowledge of different sensors, what they do, and how to interact with them
- Experience with test automation and data analysis software (e.g., LabVIEW, Python, MATLAB, etc.) and data acquisition methods
- Embedded firmware / hardware experience and exposure or direct experience with PCB design tools
- Eagerness to engage in hands-on activities, comprehending system interactions, and automating repetitive tasks
- Proficiency in using standard lab equipment (power supplies, electronic loads, oscilloscopes, DMM's, etc.). Familiarity in DFR, DFM and EOL testing is a plus
- Experience with microcontroller operation and interfaces, CAN, and Ethernet-based communications would be a plus
- Strong problem-solving skills and thorough understanding of sophisticated electrical test setups