District Transportation Manager
A Place Where People Matter.
Start your career journey with Univar Solutions! Here you can make an impact on the world around you and accelerate your career in areas that energize and excite you.
The District Transportation Manager contributes to the success of Univar Solutions by acting as the primary Transportation liaison within a defined District and managing a P&L of ~$7 million. The DTM provides Transportation leadership within the district encompassing both private fleet and common carrier components across all modes.
The DTM collaborates with the Commercial GM, District Operations Manager, and provides direct guidance on the efficient use of the private fleet to ensure a harmonized approach to Transportation mode management and route guide compliance. The DTM participates in the annual carrier RFP creating the route guide of awarded carrier partners and leads the initiatives and day to day operational activity to efficiently meet Univar Solutions’ transportation capacity requirements and financial targets.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Accountable for delivering Annual Operating Plan and cost savings objectives
Private Fleet Dispatch Optimization
- Directly responsible for maintaining an efficient cost advantaged company private fleet across multiple locations
- Enhance driver DOT HOS
- Develop and lead execution of route plans to reduce regional Cost Per Mile (CPM) on private fleets
- Mode mix and management
- Develop retention and recruiting strategies for the private fleet
Route Guide and Lane Management
- Develops lane level sourcing strategy between Private, Common, and dedicated fleets
- Conducts the Negotiation of truckload rates with common carriers to mitigate inflation and implement cost saving projects
- Provide interface and direction for common carriers on issues and improvement projects
- Implements strategies for on-time delivery performance
- Supervise the management of regional carrier relationships on a proactive basis -- using data, driving carrier compliance, and supporting on time payments that will promote long-standing and trusting carrier relationships
- Collaborate with operations and commercial leaders to define near term (<12 months); short term (12-36 months) and long term (>36 months) capacity requirements for the district
- Develop and maintain transportation capacity sufficient to support a 20% surge in volume using private fleet, common carrier, or dedicated carrier solutions
- Ensure carrier execution against transportation requirements, meeting requirements of customers
- Collaborate with other DTMs within the region and national procurement team for any dedicated capacity needs
- Provide guidance to Branch Operations supervisors and managers on the efficient use of the private fleet
- Develop and implement capital replacement strategy for all private fleet assets
- Accountable for developing and delivering plans that ensure the efficient gains in asset utilization
- Support of the annual procurement bid and bid readiness. Development of the right portfolio of carriers to ensure adequate capacity availability at costs that deliver against our AOP
- Decision Making authority for SPOT rate transactions
- Transportation budgetary responsibility for ~$7M
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Bachelor's degree required/ MBA strongly preferred
- A minimum of 3-5 years of logistics/supply-chain experience
- Experience in HAZMAT and tanker transportation operations strongly desired
- Previous experience in distribution environment preferred.
- Multi-modal Transportation experience including TL and LTL, as well as legal, regulatory, and operational issues, including customer service, logistics and carrier operations.
- Multi-year experience leading private fleets with demonstrated efficiency.
- Budgeting (P&L) experience
- In depth SAP and SAPTM system knowledge
- Knowledge of DOT rules and regulations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Exceptional interpersonal skills and dedication to working in a team environment
- Validated drive for results; ability to prioritize, address issues constructively and problem-solve in a multi-tasking environment.
- Strong analytical and negotiating skills.
- Leadership skills and ability to influence key partners across multiple geographic regions, departments, and vendors.
- Ability to lead and implement process change and organizational change; aiming to engage and articulate Supply Chain concepts at the tactical levels.
- Highly effective collaboration between operations, transportation planning, and commercial critical for defining and recommending the proper mix of carrier and private fleet to ensure excellent performance
- Detailed operational and tactical knowledge of how to enhance private fleet efficiencies coupled with strong interpersonal and influencing skills are critical for success
- Travel is required
The salary range for this position is $118,680.- $189,880. The specific salary offered to a candidate may be influenced by a variety of factors including the candidate’s relevant experience, education, training, certifications, qualifications, and work location. In addition, this position is eligible for incentive pay. Available employee benefits include health, vision, and dental. We also provide 401k matching for retirement and paid time off.
Univar Solutions is a leading, global distributor of chemicals and ingredients essential to the safety, health, and wellbeing of our daily lives from life-saving medicines and vitamins to hand sanitizers and industrial materials used for cleaning, construction, and more. Our global team of more than 10,000 employees support our vision to redefine distribution and be the most valued chemical and ingredient distributor on the planet!
We offer a Total Rewards package that includes market aligned pay and incentives as well as a diverse benefits offering to support our employees’ physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing.
Univar Solutions supports sustainable solutions for the world around us so that we can do our part to help keep our communities healthy, fed, clean, and safe!
We are committed to a diverse workforce and a culture of inclusion. Together, we are building a culture that acknowledges the unique experiences, perspectives and expertise of individuals and provides the development and growth opportunities to empower us to redefine our industry.
Univar Solutions is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on their race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected classification.
Univar Solutions does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, employment agencies, or staffing firms (collectively Recruiting Firms). Recruiting Firms must enter into a Master Services Agreement (MSA) with Univar Solutions prior to submitting any information relating to a potential candidate. All searches must be initiated by Univar Solutions' Talent Acquisition team and candidates must be submitted via Applicant Tracking System (ATS) by approved vendors who have been expressly requested to make a submission for a specific job opening. No placement fees will be paid to any firm unless the aforementioned conditions have been met. Contacting our hiring managers directly is prohibited.